Thursday, October 4, 2007

Jhil Jhil Jhinga !!!


Even though I am not a big fan of Anand or Godavari, I admire Sekhar Kammula for his decision to go back to India from US and pursue his dream and also for his cinematic sensibilities. As you all know, not all can give up a lucrative career even though your heart is not in it and pursue your dream. Even though Anand was critically acclaimed a lot, I somehow felt that the movie was “TV serial ki ekkuva and cinema ki takkuva”. But as I said, I liked his cinematic sensibilities. I felt Godavari was better than Anand, though songs in both the films sound the same.

When I came to know that Sekhar was making a film on youngsters with all new faces I got all excited. Was very eager to see how he would apply his cinematic sensibility to a youth film. Then few months later when I came to know that he was making this film against the CBIT background, I could not resist myself from looking forward to it.

Before its release, Sekhar has been publicizing the movie as a “Youth film which you can watch with your parents”. This increased my curiosity levels to an all time high as I was very eager to see how you could make a youth film which you can watch with your parents with Sekhar’s cinematic sensibilities. And when he decided to release the movie in US along with CHIRUTHA, then I could not stop admiring his guts.

Well, when I watched Happy Days last weekend, it really took me back to my CBIT days. As a story on paper, there is nothing in it. It is the story of the lead character’s life during Engineering. But what makes it interesting is the screenplay and portrayal of the lead characters by the new actors. Film is funny, hilarious, emotional and touching. This is quite a big task to achieve all at the same time. Emotions are very nicely balanced which makes it stand apart from the other youth films. This was what I was looking for from Sekhar. He applied his sensibilities in a great way to balance the emotions throughout the movie.

Sekhar again uses his fascination for fantasy through the weird gimmicks of one of the lead character. This is the only fictional part in an otherwise complete real film.

Technically Mickey scores way above the rest. His songs and also re-recording raise the movie to a different level. I was not too satisfied with photography as I personally feel that there are too many locations on CBIT campus which could have been exploited. I am extremely disappointed on this aspect. For the first 20 minutes or so, dubbing was awful as there was no lip synchronization for most of the characters. Editing needs a lot to be desired. I do not understand why they were running against time to release the movie before having a techinically glitch free product in hand.

Two songs reminded me of Super Star Krishna's dance. They were just doing a drill on the playground. "Podduna levali" song disappointed me the most among all. In that song when the lyrics say "Amma mundu wonderlu, nanna mundu blunderlu" I expected some feats/tricks which would amuse mom and you fail in the same feat/trick when your dad comes in front. On the contrary you have the lead actor just facing mom and dad. Can't Sekhar imagine atleast this with the lyrics in his hand. I also do not agree with Sekhar that you can watch this film with your parents. It is a good one to watch with your classmates but not with your parents. The movie clearly explains what most of the college guys do. I was also very surprised to see all the parents in the movie very broad minded.

In spite of all these, this movie will be a money spinner in towns and cities for the theme. Sekhar has chosen a beautiful theme but comes up with a very mediocre product as the outcome. Its a shame that he could not use the mesmerizing music. Its a shame that he could not exploit the beautiful locales of CBIT. BUT this movie is a MUST WATCH for any person who went to a college. Go for it NOW !!

No comments: